I am often asked, "how does Coach Bob make it through the holidays from a nutrition perspective?". So, I thought I would let you know how this Sport Dietitian thinks around this time of the year…
1. Don't calorie count. This isn't really specific to this time of the year because you shouldn't really do it. However, if you meticulously calculate the calories that you eat around the holidays, it will make you depressed and who wants that?
2. Enjoy food! Again, not really a holiday tip as you always should be especially during this time of the year. That doesn't mean eating junk. It means enjoying the taste of different foods. Remember, your taste buds are on your tongue, not your stomach!
3. Explore outside your comfort zone. Try new foods. What a great time of the year to have this opportunity. Who knows? You may add a favorite to your list.
4. Approach holiday parties as a way to improve your nutrition skills. It shouldn't be a sabotage situation but rather an opportunity to seek out the protein and veggies first and foremost. That will get you full and help reduce any cravings.
5. Don't stress out about treats. So maybe you do enjoy the holiday treats every so often. Don't think of yourself as a lesser person. Enjoy the taste, savor it and then move on to your normal way of eating again. It will help you develop a healthy relationship with food.
6. Make smoothies. A great way to get a liquid source of protein, fat and fiber. Experiment and have fun with different ingredients like sweet potatoes, kale, coconut and more! Check out the new Fuel4mance Smoothie e-recipe book for 85 great ideas!
Of course, the most important is to control your blood sugar by combining protein, fiber and fat together about 90% of the time you eat. Do your best but allow misses to happen (about 10% of the time). It's all about "ME" (metabolic efficiency)!
Enjoy the holidays!
And...why not give the wonderful gift of Bob and Dina's new Smoothie cookbook. No driving to the mall, no standing in l-o-n-g lines NO chance they will want to return it! Just go to Fuel4mance Smoothie e-recipe book and order it. You will be soooo glad you did. I know I certainly am :)ReplyDelete